Since they have reduced doning blood to one day when the mobile unit arrives in town,(it saves on accommodation costs for the team) the Blood Doning staff have had to close its doors for brief periods to people, during the two, two hours sessions they receive potential donors. The volume of people arriving who truly wish to give their blood, now overwhelms the resources the workers have available for the task, and it makes progress to the donation couches extremely slow.

Very eventually, having succeeded getting to the final waiting row, I found myself sitting next to a young primary school child, who was with her dad. Like me, he was patiently waiting to donate blood. I moved up a seat as one at the top of the row became free,leaving a seat free for the little girl, who had run off somewhere.

…..No, no, …..said dad,…. she’s gone to see her mother whose up there, (he indicated at a split level floor ahead) she can sit on my lap if and when she comes back.

The little girl soon returned and in evident distress, crying…..they won’t let mummy give, they won’t take any. Dad looked at me, totally bemused, while comforting his little girl. He reassuringly told her, they would definitely take some blood from him!



  1. The mobile donating is so small and holds a handful of people, i really don’t like using them, donating should be more easily accessable especialy for those who may only have a lunch break.

  2. There are s many obstacles presented to would be donors, I’m surprised that they get any

    The first (and only) time that I gave blood, it became apparent that I couldn’t spare it. I kept feeling faint every time I tried to sit up – Several attempts and cups of tea etc later my colleague (we went in our lunch hour) had to take me home in his car. I continued to feel ill for about 36hours 🙄

  3. The staff feel exceptionally pressurised. They travel 120 miles to us, starting out early, set up their kit when they arrive. At the end of the day, after 8pm, they have to pack up again and travel another 120 miles back in their pantechnicon. They don’t seem to have time for a break. When doing an additional half day, (a morning) there was little response. However, that did not take account of their work site visits at that time. The work site visits are no longer made.

    This is undoubtedly economies of scale that leave a lot to be desired, as in many other medical areas of cuts.

  4. My first time, in England, was a big put off. I got forgotten. Those were the days when you were tubed up to what looked like a glass demijohn. I was in a really bad way. I had a week’s course of iron tablets that were greatly needed.

    No-one could have safely donated in a lunch or tea break here on the last two occasions I have been. It took me two and a half hours to get through the whole process, including ten minutes for refreshments.

  5. I agree with you.

    This mobile parks outside a reasonably large hall and the staff have to hike everything out of the pantechnicon and set up their furniture etc in the hall. At the end of the day they reverse the process. We are a remote community, so the van trails up and down a difficult route doing a 240 miles round trip and the staff do the work with the donors as well,all in one day.

  6. You are so right, LLC, and the blood doning scenes were visible to everyone; they provided evidence galore! A lot of evidence of structural service depletion and not much evidence of constructively stemming the hemorrhage

Thanks for visiting me. Please share your thoughts and ideas. Comment here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.